Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let the Ventures teach you how to play "Walk Don't Run" (and other hits)!

I have always loved a wide variety of music. Many of the friends I hung out with from a young age could also be accused of the same.
My Dad loved Frank Sinatra, Slim Whitman, the wonderful harmony singing on Oral Roberts radio show, (one of those dreadful Sunday evening religious rants, but the singing was great!) and many other treasures from the era, and we often listened to the radio together.

One particular friend  from my pre-teen years came from a household with a radiogram (quite rare in those days in Mildura), and he was hooked on the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, and to this day I still find Oklahoma to be the absolute cream of the genre, unforgettable, and every word and note an epitome of perfection.

In my early to mid teens my friends and neighbours formed a band, much of the repertoire being The Shadows. In those days I aspired to be a singer, (still do!) and was a Gene Pitney freak. (And still am!)

I enjoyed the guitar  instrumental  hits of the day. But it took Cream, when I about 18 or 19 to stand me on my ear enough to inspire me to want to be a guitar player. I listened to Hendrix, Yardbirds, Cream, Rolling Stones, Them, the Blues, etc and cut my guitaring teeth on predominantly vocal/guitar music. I sang and played, wrote songs, and then incorporated Chuck Berry and 50's rock hits into my repertoire.
I eventually built up my chops enough to get interested in playing the more rudimentary guitar instrumentals.

I am still playing catch-up with the genre!
Recently, I was delighted to find two complementary web sites that help my endeavours.
The first one:  http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/WALK.html

The Money Chords web-site has heaps of useful pages of information and lessons on chords, Chord progressions, and much more. Including a page on "Walk Don't Run".
The "Walk Don't Run" page has tabs for the chords used in the song, a chord chart, (chord name and number of beats, in four beat bars) and tabs for the Lead Guitar part broken up into six diagrams. The six diagrams are significant as to how the instructions are presented in the audio tracks on the next web site.

At the bottom of the page is the album cover, pictured above, with the message to:  

MP3

Click on the album cover below to "Play Guitar with the Ventures."

The next page is an absolute treasure!
http://jukebox.au.nu/instromania/instro_monsters/ventures/1965_play_guitar_with_the_ventures/

It has MP3 reproductions of the tracks of the tutorial album which the Ventures released on vinyl all those years ago (1965). The record came with a tab-type instruction booklet for the different parts.
It presented bass, rhythm, and lead parts for  Raunchy, Tequila, Memphis, and, of course, Walk Don't Run.
 The  six "money chords" tab diagrams tie in with the way the song is presented for instruction.

Unfortunately, the Money Chords website doesn't have tabs for the other three songs, but the songs are presented broken up into their constituent riffs, and are reasonably easily decipherable.

There were seven LPs in the "Play Guitar with the Ventures" series, and if you have the patience, you may find various websites with audios to many or all of these, but I'm doubtful about finding the corresponding tabs.

Good luck, and good picking!